Our Lister diesel locomotive was built by the Dursley firm in 1938, works number 10498 to their RT design, originally with a petrol engine.
It was new to Messrs John Board & Co Ltd, Portland & Cement & Lime Works, Dunball, Somerset. This system closed in 1954, when it was sold to the Eclipse Peat Co Ltd, Ashcott, Somerset. They fitted the present 14½HP 2 cylinder diesel engine and heavy duty gearbox.
It worked there as Eclipse/Fisons No 10 until that railway finished in the early 1980s. It then passed through various dealers until sold in 1988 to Jackman’s Garden Centre, Woking Surrey. They had it regauged to 15in by Alan Keef Ltd, and used it on a short pleasure line which operated mainly for Santa Specials.
Following a change in ownership at the garden centre the loco was sold in 1998 to Brian Gent, from whom Simon Townsend acquired it in 1999. Since then it has been painted, had new couplings fitted, wheels re-profiled, and has acquired a timber body with an overall roof. Mechanically this loco is quite original and still has its wind-up clockwork start mechanism.